Friday, August 27, 2010

Not much knitting in this post, or in my life, right now

Wow, I just found out that I'm ugly. At least according to an ad by some Minnesota Republicans, who think that all Republican women are good looking, and all Democratic women are not, with Dem. pictures displayed to the the tune of "Who Let the Dogs Out?".  Kathy Ireland, who refuses to be categorized as Republican or Democrat, was furious about this ad, because 1)it labeled her as Republican, and 2) it was disgusting. Apparently, the pictures of Democratic women were manipulated, unlike the pics of the Republican women.

The ad's been out there for a few days, but I haven't heard any one from the Republican party denounce it. Shame on them.

I don't mind being labeled a Democrat (I am one), and I frankly don't care what some crazy Republicans in Minnesota think of my appearance. I do care, however, that something as crazy and as offensive as this ad goes unnoticed by the party that it represents.  And I care greatly that the state of political discourse in this country has sunk to the level of using appearance as relevant to anything. I've already been depressed by the low level of intelligence being displayed by many people in the news. (A note to some of them ~ Hawaii is a state in the US, folks. Like Kansas. Or even Minnesota)(Another note to some more of them: Religion is a private affair, and no one is entitled to demand of another what religion, if any, he or she practices. And being a Christian isn't a requirement for any job in our government, anyway.)

I don't think Obama walks on water. I don't agree with all his policies. I think he should do more to alleviate the crushing effects of the current economic recession. I think he's way off on education.  I do support the health care program, however. I'm a teacher, and I see all too often the results of not having health insurance ~ kids with poor health, but no help in getting better unless that kid gets so sick it's life-threatening, and then it's just a trip to the ER, a one-shot chance at a cure. Missed days of school, poor attention (it's hard to pay attention in class if you feel lousy), and, of course, the spread of anything that child has that's contagious to every other student in class ~ and to me. Universal health care is a necessity.  Lack of insurance wastes lives.

I also don't demonize all Republicans. However, I have to admit, I am disgusted by the brand of politics the Republicans seem to be playing lately. Block every move by Obama. Use deception and fear to motivate votes.  Lie, and then lie about lying. Never admit you were wrong.  Change your story, and then question the intelligence of anyone who calls you on that change. Use a double standard ~ you can do no wrong, but if a Democrat does what you're doing, castigate him for being a) lazy b) a spendthrift c) a tax-and-spend demon.

So far, the Republicans have chosen to bash Hispanics and women ~ who's next? Oh, wait, I forgot, they also routinely bash gay people. And Muslims. I can hardly wait to see who's next.

Okay, so there hasn't been any knitting content in this post. That could be because I've finished the baby blanket, haven't started anything new, and I don't have a camera that works to take pictures of said blanket.  And, then, today is the first day below 100 degrees this week, and knitting in 107 heat (I don't have AC at home) is sort of a masochist's heaven, so I haven't been inspired to knit anything. I had to force myself to finish the blanket, because it's due tomorrow. If it hadn't been, it would be languishing in it's bag, too.

I've also been busy setting up my classroom for the new school year that begins next week. Tuesday for the kids, Monday for me. So far, I have 34 kids scheduled for my class. Theoretically, I can have one more, although in practice I could end up with 37 or 38, depending on enrollment. At least, I don't believe this new prinicpal we have would let us stay over the limit, unlike the previous principal.  I taught one year with 37 kids. Don't let anyone tell you class size doesn't matter. It matters a lot. 35 is too many ~ more than that is just a nightmare.  This year, thankfully, I have a straight 5th grade class. Last year, it was a combo, 4th and 5th. Under the current CA standards, combo classes are impossible. Each grade level's standards consume a full year of instruction. How can anyone expect one teacher to teach two full years of standards in the same time as it takes to teach one year's worth? I was glad to see that CA did adopt the Common Core standards, however. They're much easier to meet than our current ones, and much more developmentally appropriate for the students. They won't, however, be in place this year, or probably not even next year. And our district can't implement them on their own, since the state test, which is required under NCLB, is still using the old CA standards. Still, it gives me something to look forward to, someday.

1 comment:

Cindy G said...

Well said. Guess I'm ugly by definition, too. It's funny, I was always proud that Minnesota was the place I was raised. Not so much anymore.