Monday, August 23, 2010

A little of this, a little of that

A new fan has made a huge difference in the temperature in my home. I've almost finished the baby blanket, well in time for next Saturday's shower. Now I'll need to find a box or bag to fit it in, so I can wrap it up for the shower.

As for why blogging has declined so much, many people say it's because Facebook and Ravelry have become the places to post, instead of on blogs. That's discouraging. I am a member of both, but don't post much to either place. I much prefer blogging.  I hope others come back to blogging once the weather cools and people begin fall/holiday knitting.

Both my cameras are not working due to low batteries and my inability to find my battery chargers. Nikon cameras don't use regular batteries, so I have to either buy specialty batteries or their battery chargers. (My cameras use different batteries/chargers) I can't afford to buy new ones until October, so I'm hoping I'll find them soon. I usually take pictures of all my students on the first day of school (and next to the last day). I use the first day pictures to label places I display student work And I can't take any pictures of my knitting projects until I find/buy a battery charger. Guess I'll stock up on extra batteries once I'm back to work and getting paid (October 1st). I really, really need to find those chargers!

I've been watching the news, with all the flooding in Pakistan and China, and the much warmer weather we've been having all over the eastern US, and wondering when people will realize that global warming is real and happening now. Today, a reporter for the NYTimes was writing about the Arctic melting so much faster, and the water warming so much more than usual. He claims it will make it harder for the Arctic to freeze next year.  There go our polar bears. And I worry about the whales, too. They rely on the much colder Arctic waters for food. If the water is warm, what will happen to their food source? We need to start working on the problem now, not when it's too late. (Soapbox moment ended)

I'm going in late to work on my classroom today, taking care of some personal stuff this morning. One of those things is to begin organizing my stash today. It's all over the apartment, in containers, plastic bags, knitting bags, etc. I'm not sure I even know what is in my stash, so it's time to organize. Won't happen fast, though. I have an enormous stash! I was browsing Ravelry and came across their "Flash your Stash" thread. I love what some people have done to organize their stashes. One woman has a woodworker DH, and he built her these incredible cabinets for her yarn collection. I am sooooo jealous!  Since I don't have a woodworker, much less a DH, I'm thinking IKEA for me. Again, though, that's in the planning stages until income resumes. But once I've gotten my stash altogether, I can at least figure out what I'll need to house it all. And I can work on the plan until then, anyway.

I also bit the bullit, and began going through all my knitting magazines, tearing out the patterns/articles I want to keep, and discarding the rest. I have to admit, I had to wonder why I bought some of those mags, because in some of them, I couldn't find a single article, pattern, or even an ad that I wanted or would even consider keeping. Obviously, I need to do a better job of scanning the mags in the bookstore before I buy them. Especially now, when the price of those mags has reached the same level as a book. I don't mind paying that for a magazine that has patterns and articles I will use, but for ones that don't? What was I thinking?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I too am fearful that knitting blogs are going the way of the dodo. I originally started mine as a way to keep track of my projects, and I intend to continue....but my passion to produce scintillating writing to attract new readers is pretty much gone. On the other hand, with fewer of us around, I can get through my bloglist a lot faster. :)

I've been thinking lately my magazine stash is too big to be useful. The thought of going through it all is daunting...maybe some cold winter snowstormy afternoons...