Thursday, January 17, 2008

And the Winner is....

It's been a rough two weeks, and last night was the worst. The wind kicked up here, and first, ripped my bedroom window off its track, so it had to stay wide open all night (and all day today until I could get home to crawl up on my dresser, remove the screen, strong arm the window arm back onto/into its holder, and finally (Yes!) crank it closed). Next, the open window let enough of the gale force wind in to knock over a large container holding my jewelry, scattering it all over my bedroom. While I was on my hands and knees, gathering up the scattered jewelry (and fending off my cat, who was fascinated by all the small shiny objects), the power went off. And stayed off. All night. So there I sat, in the dark, in the cold (my one and only wall heater is in a boxed in hallway, with 4 rooms, 2 doorless, opening off it. Needless to say, it doesn't heat anything much), afraid to go to sleep for fear I'd oversleep, waiting for the power to come back on. It didn't. I got to put on my make-up in my car this morning, and couldn't do much more than brush my hair (which normally desperately needs blowdrying into shape.) Sleepless, frozen, wild hair and sketchy makeup, I made it to work on time, much the worse for wear.

I didn't get to put all the names into a bowl until today, but I did finally get that done. (I'm behind on several other things, too, thanks to last night.) And so, congratulations go to Grace! She's the winner of all 5 skeins of Araucania Atacama alpaca yarn, and given how many wonderful shawls she has knit, I'm sure she'll put this to beautiful use, too. So, Grace, send me your address, and I'll get this off to you as soon as I can.

4 comments:

Larry said...

We had some high winds here in Pasadena but happily I have had none of the kinds of horrors you've had. May the weekend be calmer!

Cindy G said...

Whoa, that's some bad wind. Hope things have settled down.

Grace said...

oh wow I went to bed so early last night because the but finallly bit me, I had those wind experiences last week when the bird feeder blew in
I will email you my address!!!! Thanks so much

Grace said...

hope you are okay you haven't blogged in a while and I get worried!!