Sunday, July 1, 2007

Missing in Action

I know it's been a while (over a month!) since I last posted anything, but I've been busy, busy, busy. First it was the trip (fantastic), then Open House at school, then the end of the school year, then cleaning/organizing/storing my classroom, and finding homes for the stuff I had to bring home since my classroom is stuffed to the gills.

I was done with all that last Wednesday, finally. It's just finally sinking in that I'm on vacation. I have time! Yay, me!

Of course, it's the summer, here in L.A. Insufferably hot (which matters greatly to me, since I live in an upstairs apartment with no A/C), and very, very dry. Driest year in 130 years, officially. Cities are scrambling to outlaw fireworks for the upcoming 4th of July (I wish they'd just outlaw the individual fireworks permanently ~ professional displays are enough.) Today was 103 around 2 pm, and it's 90 now, at nearly 9 pm. They say the next two days will be hotter. I can hardly wait.

The idea of knitting while I swelter is somehow not very appealing. Well, the idea is appealing, very appealing. It's the application that isn't. I've started several things ~ a scarf for my sister in VA (It will be her first winter there, and she's a native CA kid like me), a short sleeved top for me, a cabled tank in cotton/silk. I do a couple of rows, and quit. It's just too hot. It's too hot to even just read, which is another obsession of mine.

I guess I'll be heading over to the library for some in-house reading time in the next few days. And window shopping in malls. I'll wander over to my LYS, which has relocated, too. I'll have to find a project to make using the yarns I've bought there, so maybe I'll get a little knitting time in. In general, I'll be searching out all the places that offer a chance to spend time in A/C without involving lots of money. It's hard to believe it's already this hot, this early. I can hardly wait for August!

That's it, for now. I'm going to go get some ice water, and decide whether I want to drink it or pour it over me ~

1 comment:

Cindy G said...

Hi Christine, nice to see you back! I'm floored at the thought of LA without AC.