Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Change in plans for my Lang Venezia

Well, I just don't like the fabric my Venezia creates when using the 7s or 8s that are recommended. It's much better on 6s, but I'm thinking it will be best on 5s. I'll swatch tomorrow, just to be sure. I don't have any patterns for vests that use 5s or 6s. For that matter, I have very few patterns for anything that use needle sizes below 7s or 8s. I'm not a tiny needles person, although I have knit with them (I have needles down to size 1, for that matter, even though I can't remember what I knit using them). Guess this means I'll be doing a pattern search through my rather extensive stack of knit magazines.

The Venezia is a dream to knit, however. It's 50% mohair, but it behaves like it was silk, instead. Just glides off the needles. (Frogging the swatch wasn't as easy, however, but considering the mohair, much easier than it could have been.)

Tomorrow will be a day spent dreaming. I'll haul out the pattern books, and encounter all those sweater patterns I marked as "someday"s, and wonder what in my stash would work for them. I'll encounter patterns that didn't impress me back when I bought the magazine or pattern book, but suddenly catch my eye now, and wonder what in my stash will work for them now. I'll start going through my stash to answer those questions, and find things I didn't know I had. And return to the pattern books and mags to see if there's a pattern there to work with that fabulous yarn I just found.

Thank God I actually have a few errands to run, or I would spend the entire day running back and forth between my stash of patterns and my stash of yarn, and get nothing concrete done.

And, just to prove that my good intentions about knitting from my stash were just so much smoke, I dropped in on Webs today, and ordered 22 balls of yarn to add to my stash. Half of them, at least, are for that darling little girl's dress I mentioned, that my niece will love. In a purple she'll love. In a washable wool that her mother will love.

The other half are Laines du Nord Cash silk, just because. Webs is having its year-end sale, after all. I mean, cashmere and silk, for $3.99 a ball? I just had to, you know?

1 comment:

Cindy G said...

Well, when you buy yarn for a very specific project, that doesn't really count as stash enhancement. Right? (Please tell me I'm right on this.)