Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Book Review (a yarn book!)

I just finished reading The Knitter's Book of Yarn, by Clara Parkes. What a joy it was to read. I learned things about yarn I didn't even know I wanted to know, but am passionately glad I do now know them. She writes in an engaging way about the stuff yarn is made of, the effects of plying, dying, twist, and special effects. She includes patterns that are designed to show off the qualities of the yarn she's just discussed. She talks about washing handknits, and felting (on purpose). She provides guidelines for telling how a yarn will perform, before you buy 20 skeins of it for entirely the wrong project. For once, I feel as if I truly understand why a particular yarn will tell me what it wants to be, and why some yarns just don't speak to me at all. I heartily recommend this book. It makes for great reading! (This book was a Christmas present to myself, one I'm really glad I got.)

In other news, I haven't knit a single stitch in days. I did come across a beautiful girls' dress that caused me to eye my stash a bit (I have a niece who would love it if I knit it for her), and I'm still pondering what to do with my Lang Venezia in that lovely royal blue. I'm almost sure it wants to be a vest, but I'm still waiting to hear if it wants to be a cabled pullover type, or a patterned, button-up type. I don't go back to work or school until Jan. 7th, so hopefully, we'll have made up our mind by then.

I did receive some new yarn from my favorite online yarn source, Elann. I picked up some Austermann Inka, in a sort of faded mulberry color. This is an alpaca blend, and it's incredibly soft. It came, with 11 balls of Inka, with a pattern I quite like, and may even make out of the intended yarn (not a common occurrence for me). Or not. I never know.

I frightened myself while I was eying my stash, looking for a yarn for that girl's dress. I have wayyyyy too much yarn. Seriously too much. I may even have to commit to knitting from my stash for a while or so (or move to a bigger place). A long while, even. Years. (If I retired today, and lived another 30 years, I honestly don't think I'd *have* to buy another skein of yarn, and would be able to knit every day.) Of course, having to buy yarn, and wanting to buy yarn are completely divorced feelings. Is there a Yarn Junkies Anonymous out there somewhere?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat the stash. Yeah...our yarn piles up. I don't know about you, but I get pleasure out of being surrounded by yarn. That's why I like to hang out at yarn shops. It's my form of Feng Shui. Just knit, enjoy, and knit some more. :)

Cindy G said...

Thanks for the book review. It sounds really worthwhile. Over the years I've picked up bits and pieces of info on yarn characteristics, but it's all been sort of scattershot. It would be nice to have just one organized reference to turn to.