Friday, January 19, 2007

Actual knitting content!

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to post some pics. It's been a very busy week for me, and until today, the days have been overcast, and dark early. Not good for pictures at all. Tomorrow is supposed to be like today, sunny, so I should be able to take at least a few pics. We'll see.

I'm going to start a scarf using Webs house yarn, Valley Yarns Amherst. I love this yarn. It's wooly and springy, and lovely to knit with. I've been swatching different stitch patterns, trying to find one I really like. So far, none have made me fall in love. Guess I'll be trying a few more tomorrow. Maybe I'll just wing it, throw in a cable or two, and see how that goes.

I also just got some gorgeous ribbon yarn, Cherry Tree Hill's Rainbow Ribbon in Winterberry. I'm planning on using it to make a summer top I found in an old Vogue. Wow, a really old Vogue! I just looked, and it's from 1990! (Yes, I hoard pattern magazines, too) The original is pretty ethnic, and I'm not, but I think the colorway I chose will lessen the ethnic flavor a bit. I think this is one I'll want to take with me when I head off to DC in late May with my students. It's cotton, with barely cap sleeves, so it should be good in the warm, humid DC/VA weather.

I have so many WIPs, I should feel guilty starting any new project. But any WIP in time-out is there because 1) I got tired/bored knitting it or 2) I didn't like how it was developing or 3) I ran into trouble knitting it and put it aside til my frustration level decreased, so until I come up with a real desire to restart any of them, they'll remain WIPs, and I'll happily begin something new. Knitting is therapy for me, and being frustrated, bored, or unhappy while doing it just doesn't feel theraputic.

The parent of one of my students brought in a big plastic tub of craft stuff again today. (This is the second big plastic tub of such that he's brought in) It's from his mother, who was a "crafty lady", but he's a single dad, getting ready to move, and "this stuff has just been sitting around in the garage" since his mother died years ago. He thought of me because his niece (he's her guardian) is in my afterschool knitting club. So, two big (more to come) containers of all the craft things he's found as he cleans out.

Lots of acrylic yarn, in many colors. Crochet hooks, mostly steel; knitting needles of all sizes, mostly 14", but today lots of dpns. Thankfully, included was a needle sizer, since the dpns were all loose, and most have no size markings on them. I'm assuming the weird, U shaped metal objects I found in today's box are hairpin lace tools, but I'm not sure. And there were four or five elliptical objects which brought to mind shuttles, one out of abalone shell. I'm not sure what they were used for, though. Does tatting use shuttles? Maybe I'll post a picture of them if I can remember to take my camera to school next week, and see if anyone can tell me what they are used for.

1 comment:

Cindy G said...

How great of you to do an after school knitting club! The unidentified elliptical objects sound like tatting shuttles to me. I don't tat. It's just one of those things I've read about (the way I read recipies I'll probably never actually make). BTW - strong identification here with your collecting urge. I would be holding onto those shuttles "just because"