Monday, July 21, 2014

So, I ended up working on another "my design" sweater

When Falling Leaves didn't work out, I was really disappointed. I didn't want to have to plot out a solution to the problems, I just wanted to knit.

I looked around at a lot of patterns, and eyed my stash. And, of course, decided I'd just make a sweater out of a stitch pattern I'd fallen in love with. I'm using Valley Yarn's Amherst, in what they call Soft Grape, but I call medium brown. The stitch pattern I'm using is from Up, Down, All-Around and is called "Moss Diamonds and Lozenges", p.42. It's a 44 row pattern, and each complete pattern is about 8 inches tall.

I started knitting on 7/16, and bound off for the armholes of the front on 7/18. And then had to back up a couple of times, because the bind off messed up the pattern. I finally had to write out the pattern, line by line and stitch by stitch, to see where I should start, given the different starting points caused by the armhole decreases. Not fun, but it's working out okay now. I'm about 2 rows from binding off for the shoulders. (7/20). So far, I've used a little less than 2 1/2 skeins, and I have 10.  I'm planning on doing a plain stockinette back, and sleeves, although I may use part of the pattern on those, maybe just around the cuff area. Haven't decided yet. I really like the pattern stitch, but I probably would have been better off doing a drop shoulder style. I'm small, though, so that can look overwhelming on me. I really prefer set in sleeves.

I hope to be done with this by the end of next week, July 27. Still need to work out the sleeve cap, and whether or not to use a part of the pattern stitch on the cuff area, so I may not make it, but I'm going to try.

No comments: