Friday, July 4, 2014

Ribbed Tank finished at last!

I finished seaming the tank top this morning, got all the ends woven in, tried it on, and I like it! It hits right at the best place on my hips, it's stretchy, but it doesn't hug too tight. The only thing is I find that Microspun, for being a DK weight, gets heavy for some reason.  I wasn't expecting that, but I can live with it. And I like the pattern enough to make it again, using the Kroy Socks FX that I got for it in the first place. And maybe in some other yarns and colors. Versatile top.

In other news, I picked up a couple of new books and forgot to mention them in my last post. I really like both of them.

First up, Up, Down, All-Around Stitch Dictionary by Wendy Bernard, of Knit and Tonic blog, and the author of the Custom Knits series of books. In this new book, Wendy has taken over 150 stitch patterns, and written and charted them for knitting top down, bottom up, in the round, and on straight needles. Not every pattern gets all 4, but then many don't need it. I love the way she has thoughtfully put together groups of stitch patterns, and I love, love the fact that I don't have to deal with rewriting lace patterns to knit flat or in the round. For just that, alone, BUY THIS BOOK! (I am not getting paid or anything else for this review).


In addition to all those patterns, Wendy has also included a pattern for using one of the stitch patterns ~ a cowl, a hat, a vest, etc. Included, too, are notes on swatching ( I love her suggestion list for why you really need to swatch), and a short how-to on swapping out stitch patterns to customize your knitting. Overall, this is a terrific addition to my collection of stitch dictionaries.

The other new book is another Viking knits book by Elsebeth Lavold, Viking Knits & Ancient Ornaments. Lavold is recognized as an expert on cables, from her extensive work in Viking, as well as other early civilizations, decorative pieces. In her latest book, Lavold goes around the world to find "interlacements" or new cable details. This book has some exquisite new patterns using the new cables, but more than that, it's just a great read as Lavold recounts her travels and discoveries as she sought to find commonalities and differences in cultures around the world. I recommend this book not only for its beautiful patterns, but for a fascinating look at decorative arts throughout history and the world.


Both of these books are available on Amazon.

So, that's about all. While I think about what to knit next, I'm having fun reading Lavold's book, and browsing through Wendy's stitches.  Hope your July is going well!

No comments: