Saturday, August 25, 2007

Lunch with SK and Barbara



Wednesday, Barbara and I met up with Shui Kuen and her mother for lunch at Ocean Star, a dim sum restaurant in Alhambra. It was wonderful ~ I love dim sum, but rarely get to eat it, since there aren't many good places for it anywhere near where I live. SK and her mother did all the ordering (no menus, no one seemed to speak English), and they treated us to a terrific array of dishes.




It was great to see SK again, and to see what she's been working on. Barbara had brought both magazines that have SK's work in them, and she was thrilled to see those. SK showed us the Forget-Me-Not shawl she's working on now, knit in Elann's Kid Silk ~ simply gorgeous! She also had with her a terrific cabled cardigan she'd made some time ago ~ although I doubt she's had any chance to wear it here, with our extreme heat.


Barbara brought her Comfort shawl with her ~ it's absolutely gorgeous, and feels yummy as well. Between SK and Barbara, I almost feel compelled to knit a shawl, even though I never wear one and have no use for shawls in SoCal.
After lunch, we all went back to SK's mother's house, where her mother tried to feed us more, and SK brought out all the goodies she's working on. We had a great time, and I regret that SK lives so far away (in the wilds of Canada!) that we rarely get together. If she lived nearer to me, I swear I'd just sit at her feet and learn from her ~ she's one awesome knitter!
I didn't have anything to show, unfortunately. I'd been working in my classroom before I left for the meeting, and I forgot to take anything with me when I left home (before 7 am!). I didn't even remember to bring my camera, so the above were graciously sent to me by Barbara, who did remember to bring hers, although she forgot until we were getting ready to leave. Bless her for sharing.

2 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Gee, I look just as sweaty in the picture on your blog as I do on mine! Sigh. But we certainly had a lot of fun, and it would be great if you and I could remember to carve out a few more lunches from our schedules. SK says she'll be back next year, so perhaps we can do a bit more sittin' & knittin'.

sk said...

I have a lot of fun to see all the LA knitting friends. We should do it again next year.