Thursday, August 9, 2007

Electricity ~ To Have or Have Not

My electricity has died twice this week. It's driving me nuts! Tuesday, it was out for over two hours. No lights, no fan, no computer, TV, radio, CD, DVD. Nothing. And of course it was around 90 degrees outside(it was 5 pm), which made it miserable inside my 2nd floor apartment. I finally left and sought refugee status with my brother and his family.

Today it went out, again. Fortunately, it didn't last long ~ 15 -20 minutes. But I lost the document I was working on, for my upcoming Masters. Had to recreate it, saving it every 5 minutes, of course. I am so not starting over a third time!

I just don't understand why the power keeps going out. I mean, this is SoCal. I lived through the Enron years, the brownouts, the power shortages during 110+ heat, and never, never lost power. Now, in the midst of what seems to me to be a very mild summer, I lose it twice in 2 days? (Actually, it was less than 48 hours between the first and second time) And the week's not over, yet.

Whatever bug the power company has, I desperately hope they get it fixed before school starts up again. I need my alarm to get up at the ungodly hour of 5 am (I am so not a morning person, and it's still dark out then). I need light to put my make-up on, to choose my clothing. I need electricity to make my coffee. I need electricity for my blow-dryer. I mean, I teach 10 year olds, and they don't deserve to see their teacher coffee-less with wild hair, you know? When the power goes out here, the only thing that works is my cell phone. Life isn't pretty without power.

No comments: